Sunday, April 27, 2008
Milestones That Actually Matter
So, now that I'm a stay at home mom there are days that I feel a little dumber than before I had kids. I feel like most of my conversations involve the topics of poop, spit up, etc. So, I'm challenging myself to use my brain a little more here. Here goes. With my kiddos growing and getting smarter everyday I've been thinking about the topic of milestones. Why do people make such a big deal out of milestones like rolling over? Or getting the first tooth? Sure, maybe like .1 percent of the population never rolls over or gets the first tooth but for the rest of us, why make a big deal out of it? I think we should make a bigger deal out of milestones that actually matter. For example, last week Macie was able to ride in the front section of the grocery cart. It was awesome. Taking a baby and a 3 year old grocery shopping is nearly impossible. If you put the baby in the big section then there's no room for food. If you put the baby in the front section, then the 3 year old wants the back section and there's still not much room for food. So, now that I can put BOTH kids in the front, life is much sweeter. Ryan just reached a new milestone that actually matters. He's started doing chores. It's such a shift in thinking that I don't have to do everything for him. Now he can do some things for me. It's been life changing. I'm no slave driver but he has gotten really good at vacuuming. This advance serves 2 main purposes. #1 he's actually helping me clean and #2 he's occupied by something that's constructive which means he's not pooping in the bathtub or jumping on Macie's face or smashing food through the cracks of our balcony to the neighbors below. Anyways, if there's anyone out there reading this, feel free to mention any cool milestones your kids have reached lately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Lately Ben started waving as well as standing up in his crib (time to move the crib mattress down, huh?). I love the waving. He does it all the time to random things, like to Dora on the TV.
Abigail has been trying hard lately to push herself on a swing. Sometimes effectively other times not so effective.
Collette is starting to write some letters. She's doing a great job!
I love what Ryan is doing when he's not vacuuming!!
The milestone that I didn't realize was such a big deal until now was the ability to play on a play structure with out mommy there to make sure they don't kill themselves. I can't wait til I can take a book to the playground and just let them play while I read or talk.
I like the potty training milestone, the looking both ways when crossing the street milestone, the feeding yourself milestone and of course the sleeping through the night milestone.
Oh and then there is the buckling yourself one too, I really like that one, especially in my minivan.
Okay well I'll be done for now, even though I think I could continue forever.
I like all the milestones you guys have listed. I totally agree with the playground one--it is way nicer when they can totally play on their own and you trust they won't fall off or anything. Potty training is a good one, too. I also love the milestone of the kid not really needing the parents to bring anything extra--like sippies, diapers, whatever.
Ryan can vacuum my house any time he wants. :)
hi kim! I saw your blog on tina's blog. your kids sure are cute!
Post a Comment