Monday, March 15, 2010

To do. . .

Some of my friends have showcased projects on their blogs. I thought that was a good idea because maybe it would help motivate me to finish up some of my projects. Some have gone unfinished for an embarrassingly long time. Maybe in a week I can show an "after" of at least one of them. Mind you, I have a long list of projects to do--photo books for all my kids, journal writing for all of them, sewing on buttons to shirts, and hopefully packing to move to a bigger place soon.
A while ago my mom got a long arm quilting machine. I thought, "Cool, an easy way for me to makes quilts for Ryan." We went to the store and bought fabric of his favorite things in life--Thomas the Train and Cars. I quilted them together but never finished the edges. Ryan couldn't care less and just wanted his new blanket. And now, at least a year or maybe even two later, the edges remain unfinished. Ryan doesn't even hardly care about Thomas or Cars anymore but I'm DETERMINED to complete this blanket.
Juliet is showing off my next project--this little rocking chair I picked up for $6 at the Goodwill. It was from back in the day when Macie loved little chairs. I thought I could quickly refinish it and make it darling just for her. I sanded it off but then never got around to painting it white to match her furniture. Also, notice the dining table behind Juliet. . .
This is the granddaddy project of them all. We've outgrown our 4 person dining table and I picked up this table with 3 leaves and 6 chairs for $250 off Craigslist. You can see the upholstery is ugly as sin. And it smells just as bad. But the table is solid walnut (perfect for 3 kids) and in great shape. There are two armchairs and 4 without arms. Although I'd probably prefer a trendy new table from Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel, we have a long list of things to buy and this is one thing I'll buy off Craigslist.
Here's the fabric I'm thinking of using to reupholster the seats though I'm still exploring other options. It's deep red and off white, though, on my screen it looks like red and peach.
Hopefully, in the next few months, I'm going to refinish the table to look like this similar looking one from Crate and Barrel.

9 comments:

whitney said...

sweet! you can do it kim!

Gordita said...

Awesome! I'm excited about the table and chairs. Refinishing furniture is definitely not my forte.

Molly said...

Oh my gosh! You beat me to this post! I have been meaning to post about all the projects I want to do this year. One of them is completely reupholstering the antique couch and chair in my living room. Maybe you and I can have a little contest. See who finishes first. Couch and chair v. dining room table. 3 kids v. 1 kid and a full time job. I think it sounds like a pretty fair contest.

Kim said...

Ok Molly, the race is on!!

Dalene said...

Way to go! I can't wait to see the finished projects! PS the only reason I was able to complete a few projects is because we had 4 (four!) snow days in one month!

Amanda said...

Looks like fun! Good luck. I can't wait to see what it all looks like in the end. You are so talented.

LJ, DC and ML said...

Loving the upholstery you picked. It looks delicious!

Seel Kids said...

Love all the projects. Your table is going to look awesome. I love the fabric! Good luck.

Heidi said...

Kim, I think you need to introduce me to Molly so that she can show me how to reupholster my couch! Can't wait to see the fabric!