Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Driving Under the Influence of. . .

Last night I was driving home from Bunco at about 11:40ish. I was on an expressway, in the left lane. There was only one car, but pretty far behind me. Suddenly, I saw a sign for the freeway and it occurred to me that I could hop on and perhaps get home a little faster. I signaled, changed 4 lanes at once (I know, my bad, but seriously the road was pretty dang empty, though obviously not empty enough) and headed for the freeway on-ramp. I thought the first on-ramp headed northbound so I was about to get on it but at the last second realized I was wrong. So, I got out of that lane and waited for the sign that said northbound. As I was just barely turning to get onto the freeway, flashing lights appeared in my rear view mirror. Dangit. But I figured I'd just explain that I hadn't driven in this area in a long time and was going home a new way and was a little confused about which lane to get in. So, the cop gets out and I grab my purse to have my ID handy. I roll down my window and say "Hi" and he says "Hi". And THEN he says, "How much marijuana have you been smoking tonight?" I was a little bit shocked. Wouldn't THAT have been a novel Bunco appetizer!? People would REALLY think Bunco was sinful:) I said, "Marijuana? No marijuana." And he was like, "Really? Because when you rolled down your window I smelled a huge whiff of weed." Did he realize who he just pulled over? Seriously, I once called my OB in a panic to be sure that the herbs in the Ricola cough drops I just took wouldn't damage my unborn baby. Now, I'm sure it's not polite or smart to laugh in a cop's face so I bit my tongue hard. But, he was relentless and proceeded to shine a light in my eyes to see if I was on something. He asked, "Do you have any marijuana in your car?" and shined the flashlight around the inside of my car. I said "nope." He checked my ID and rebuked me for changing 4 lanes all at once and for driving "erratically" but said he'd give me a break and not cite me. And he finally gave up and said, "Well, maybe the smell was a skunk in the bush or something." Uh. Yeah. Right.

5 comments:

Christine Kimball said...

That's pretty funny. Maybe it was his first night on the job. Or maybe he was on marijuana......

Gordita said...

Ha. I'm glad he let you off with only a stern warning.

Alan and Jeni said...

Now that's funny!

Stacy Russon said...

laughing my head off, what are you up to these days Kim?!!!

Michelle Glauser said...

No way. Too bad you didn't have a Book of Mormon sitting on the passenger's seat.